Frequently Asked Questions

Human Resources

   How can I apply for a City job?

Select the City Jobs link and follow the instructions.

   How can I verify employment?

Fax all requests to 262-636-9585.


   Can I use a portable outdoor fireplace?

Outside fireplaces and cooking appliances are allowed within City Limits, as well as portable fireplaces PROVIDED they are used in a location not hazardous to life or property. The Fire Prevention Code requires any portable fireplace or cooking appliance be set back a minimum of 15 feet from any building. Please visit the Fire Department's web page here for further information.

   Does the City offer free smoke detectors?

The Fire Department does have a limited supply of smoke detectors available but does NOT provide Carbon Monoxide detectors. Citizens can contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at (262) 635-7915 to request a smoke detector Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. Please visit the  Fire Prevention Bureau's main page  for more information.

   How do I qualify to be a firefighter?

Minimum requirements for applicants include 60 college credits from any accredited college or university, a valid Driver's License, EMT-Basic and Firefighter Level I certifications, and successful completion of the CPAT physical abilities test. It should be noted that most of our successful applicants have training and education far beyond our minimum requirements. Please visit our main page at  for more information.

   Why are Fire Engines at car accidents?

We utilize our Fire Engines for car accidents to control any fuel or fluid leak and for possible fire control. All of our firefighters are trained as EMT's at a minimum so they can also assist the Ambulance with patient care. For more information, please visit the Fire department's main page,


   Why do I have to pay for sewer?

The water bill covers the cost of providing water service to your dwelling. The sewer bill covers the cost of treating and conveying the waste to the wastewater treatment plant. If you have an issue with the payment of your sewer charges please take it up with your landlord.

   Do you accept latex paint?

If not, what can I do with it? Latex paint is not hazardous so it is not collected at a Household Hazardous waste Collection. You can purchase a drying chemical at any paint store and add it to your leftover paint and it will dry up. Then you can put it with your garbage and the solid waste department will collect it on your solid waste pickup day.

   Why is my water bill so high?

There are several factors that may contribute to high water bills. 
Some things to check include:

  • Did you pay your last bill?
    • A previous balance may be showing up on your bill.
  • Did you use more water such as filling a swimming pool, or extra loads of laundry?
  • Could your toilet be running because of a malfunction?
  • Do you want an inspector to stop by? 

    Please visit the Water Department's main page at  for more information.